Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2011

That's right. I'm a "shelter seeker."

I discovered something about myself today. I am officially a "shelter seeker."

I have been a seeker since the April 27 tornado outbreak, but my psyche hid it from me well. I failed to realize that while driving around Limestone County, I have been collecting data on places to hide during a storm.

What woke my mind up today was when I drove by a culvert on a Tanner back road and thought, "I can fit in there."

I realized that since the tornado outbreak and subsequent storms, my subconscious self has been noting and filing away locations of safety.
Outdoor shelters, large culverts, deep drainage ditches, community safe rooms and houses that I know contain safe rooms. My mind created a file for this body called, "Note to self, hide here."

It's understandable.

The day of the tornadoes - last count I saw was seven hit Limestone, including an EF5 - I somehow managed to cover the damage all day without getting blown away. More tornadoes, electrical storms and straight-line winds have followed. I have escaped without getting struck by lightning, toppled by a tree, or washed off the road. I would like to keep that streak going.

As November and another tornado season looms, my eyes dart to the left and right side of the road when I drive.

"I could bust the lock on that shelter." Location noted. "That family looks friendly and might let me in." Location noted. "That ditch doesn't flood." Location noted.

So, if you hear the warning sirens blaring one afternoon and run for your shelter, and you find a curly haired lady has already taken up residence, this is my official introduction. It's nice to meet you. My name's Holly, and I'm a shelter seeker.




No comments:

Post a Comment