Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Carry On, Coach."

Lady Vols Coach Pat Summitt may not be from Limestone County, but she has the grit of many women I have met not only in this county, but throughout the South. I feel it is fitting to include her in a blog about Lovin' it in Limestone because she has influenced so many in basketball as I know she will now influence so many with her new battle.

This week she announced she has been diagnosed with early onset dementia, the Alzheimer's type. She threatened to punch one doctor who suggested she retire. She plans to coach and strive for her ninth national championship this year.

I say, "Carry on, Coach." Fight this disease like it was an SEC foe or even worse, connecticut standing in your way of that championship. (I lower cased connectitcut on purpose. I think Pat would approve.)

I grew up watching her coach. My Momma and many of her sisters played basketball when women were told they could not run the length of the floor. Instead, they played half-court. Momma was a guard and resented the fact she could only play defense. It tickled her each time Coach Summitt defeated a team coached by a man and when she became the coach with the most wins ever, man or woman.

Momma talks sports with her sisters, especially my Aunt Bonnie in Memphis and until this year, my Aunt Charlene in Nashville. Aunt Charlene loved Vandy, so she and Momma often argued over Vandy and the Vols. Sports held Aunt Charlene's attention even after she was diagnosed with dementia. There were days she did not know who Momma was when Momma called her. There were times Momma and my Aunt Jimalee visited her that she cried for her own mother.

She died from the disease this year.

The disease is cruel, taking memories and dignity from its victims. If anyone can give it a tough fight, I know it is Coach Summitt. After all, she recruited one of her best players while going into labor, and she refused to allow the plane to land in Virginia as she left the recruiting trip. She gave birth to her baby boy in Tennessee.

So I say, carry on, Coach, like the tough Southern lady you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment