Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011

A person (name withheld to protect the guilty) recently said to me, in a tone that bespoke aggravation, that Athens is always having patriotic events.

I fail to see that as a bad trait for any community.

Limestone County has sent many of its fathers and mothers, sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters to defend this country and in some cases, die for it. I welcome the Flag Days, Veterans Day Parade, Alabama Veterans Museum programs and other celebrations.

My mother, who was the youngest of 12 (11 natural born children and one cousin raised as a sibling), had three brothers who left their Tennessee farm and fought in World War II.
Another boy wanted to make his card for firefighters and thanked them for "Putting out our fires."

Living in a community that honors those who serve and hosts many patriotic events is not an aggravation to me. It's another rea
My father got his shots and was within a week of being sent to Korea when the military began withdrawing troops. He served his time in Europe. His brother fought in Vietnam, and they lost a cousin who died shortly after arriving in Vietnam.

I was lucky enough to be on the last Tennessee Valley Honor Flight, which flew on Sept. 11, 2010. I took with me pictures of my uncles and a Japanese flag one uncle captured and had his fellow servicemen sign. I found the Tennessee pillar at the World War II memorial and propped black and white pictures of my uncles by the state name and took their pictures. They died long before the memorial was a concept, so this was my way of sharing the memorial with them.

Karen Middleton took my picture holding the Japanese flag, which drew the attention of some foreign visitors who began snapping their own photos of my uncles.

In November, I plan to accompany the East Limestone High School Band to New York where they will march in the Veterans Day Parade and see the World Trade Center Memorial.

To me, patriotism should never take a break. If the men and women who fought and still fight for our country ever took a break, I shudder to think of the outcome.

A few weeks ago, my home congregation, Coxey Church of Christ, held its annual Vacation Bible School. I wrote the material and was asked to cover three attitudes: obey, respect, and serve. For the lesson on serve, the students learned how Jesus served others, but I also made sure to note how we should thank those who have served and are serving us, including police officers, firefighters, and military. The students made cards for the Veterans Museum to display at Coffee Call and/or the upcoming VJ Day program. One boy thanked everyone for serving in the Navy. One girl thanked the soldiers for being brave.



Another boy wanted to make his card for firefighters and thanked them for, "Putting out our fires."



Living in a community that honors those who serve and hosts patriotic events is not an aggravation for me. It's another reason I'm Lovin' it in Limestone.




No comments:

Post a Comment