Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

Boogers of Love

If you spend time with a toddler, you have been the recipient of boogers of love.

I get most of my boogers of love from my 2-year-old nephew Tyler, but my nieces Hannah and Allie were just as guilty about sharing their boogers in their younger days.

These toddlers are crafty about their booger blessings. When he has a cold, Tyler does the subtle swift swipe on my shoulder while clutching his chubby arms around my neck. I will invariably come home to find crusted boogers on my shoulder or in my curls.

He also has a slick knee nudge maneuver. If I am sitting down, he'll totter over to me and act like he wants to put his head on my lap. He will nudge my knee with his nose, leaving behind shades of yellow, green or brown. They are the color of love for these tikes.

One day, I'm sure Tyler will attempt the rub-your-nose-picking-finger-on-her-pants routine.

I take my role as a human Kleenex in stride. What are aunts for if not to be blessed with boogers of love? Besides, it gives me a guilt angle. While his mother can use the, "I was in labor with you for 10 hours," guilt trip, I can use the one, "I was a walking booger catcher for you for three years."

2 comments:

  1. From Amber Smith Butte via FB:

    Hilarious. If Sam thinks I'm coming at him with a tissue, he makes a run to wipe his nose on the couch. I wish he had the leg or shoulder of an aunt handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Facebook

    Erica Lovell: Holly, I LOVE the way you put this into words. I shared it with a few people I worked with in the nursery who will get it just as I did. :)

    Karen Wright Middleton: Eeeeuuww!!! Love it. Going to share it with the certain parents of a 2-year-old I know and love!

    ReplyDelete