Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

Attack of the Cobbler

As the seconds ticked by, the aroma grew stronger.
Cherries. Blueberries. Raspberries. The smell of warm fruit mingled with sweet syrup and baking dough.
In anticipation I opened the microwave door. Steam billowed, carrying with it that delectable scent of cobbler.
I pulled the saucer toward me. The saucer being my microwavable safe plate upon which the silently sinister cobble sat.
As the saucer cleared the microwave, the cobbler saw its chance to attack. Its slick microwavable container slid from the saucer and launched for my right leg.
I was taken by surprise. Gooey goodness latched onto my upper thigh and knee and oozed a burning trail along my leg. I heard the saucer clatter to the floor and saw purplish syrup splatter the kitchen as I danced in pain, swiping the steaming cobbler with my hand, thus leaving defensive wounds on my digits.
I stripped my lounge dress over my head and sped to the bathroom. I vaulted like an Olympian into the bathtub and turned on a cold shower and washed the cunning cobbler from my body.
I returned to the crime scene to find my kitchen floor looking as if a mafia hit had taken place - purple and red  streaks simulated pools of congealed blood. I felt compelled to draw a chalk outline around the saucer, but angry splotches started appearing on my leg, searing my nerve endings in pain. I hobbled to my couch with after sun aloe and a wet, cold towel.
As I lay in agony, I could still smell the infernal cobbler.
Who knew it was such a fiendish fruit pie.

2 comments:

  1. From Carl Hunt via Facebook:
    Don't underestimate the power of a microwave oven...

    From Karen Middleton via Facebook:
    Hilarious! I don't know who else would have taken this approach. LMAO.

    From Michelle Tanner and Melissa Elliott via Facebook:
    Michelle Grimes Tanner: SIGH...Only you could turn a microwaveable fruit pie into a wepaon of mass destruction.....

    Melissa Seale Elliott: Holly, what is your address? ... So I can send a Southern Living subscription your way!! Microwavable cobbler? It's simply... "Un-Southern"

    Holly Hollman: Melissa, I have Momma's quick cobbler recipe but I was just too lazy to make one. Lesson learned!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I borrow this story? My class is gonna LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete