Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Limestone Quirks Worth Lovin'

There are quirks about Limestone County that are worth lovin'.

Here's my list. Please add to it.

  • If I need to find someone I want to interview at the Tanner Truck and Tractor Pull, I can walk up to the announcer and have him holler for that spectator to stand up and wave.
  • I can slip my payment through a crack in the doors at Hendricks-Patton-Rancl after hours.
  • The guy at the nearby convenience store made me a wooden basket.
  • When winds knocked down my tree onto my backyard neighbor's goat shed and neither of our insurance companies would pay, a local congregation cut the wood up for a widow who uses a stove for heat.
  • Patriotic songs play from the courthouse chimes each morning.
  • Churches and volunteer fire departments took care of tornado victims weeks before FEMA arrived.
  • If I miss church, one of my Smith sisters will be texting to see what's going on.
  • The locals know the big decisions made by city officials were once made in the back room at Dub's.
  • The media gets tips from an Athens based Deep Throat.
  • The Ripley community makes Christmas floats and uses the prize money to buy Bibles to hand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment